Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In wall USB outlets  (Read 2232 times)

taflemer

• Forum Supporter!
  • Helpful Rating: 0
In wall USB outlets
« on: February 08, 2016, 08:08:18 AM »

Has anyone tried the newer in wall USB outlets and experienced PLC signal loss?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: In wall USB outlets
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »

I've been wanting to add one of these and had never thought of the fact that they could be noise generators or be a signal sucker.
Since these would be simular to wall warts I can see the potential.
And I would imagine the manufacture/brand could make the difference as it does with CFLs and LEDs.
It would be benificial if we could get a list going of good verses bad outlets.
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

taflemer

• Forum Supporter!
Re: In wall USB outlets - Leviton T5631
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »

The full DI-RXX-T5631-22A-X1.  It has 2 USB outlets and one C-15 AC outlet rated 15A.  It is •cCSAus Listed.  The instruction sheet is trilingual, so same unit may be available in Canada.

I am not ready to write this unit off yet.  More troubleshooting is needed.  Also, I have a 4 USB unit installed.  Need to check the maker on it.  However, it does not appear to be a problem.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »

XTB Jeff from  http://jvde.us/forum/index.php may be able to shed some light on these.
Although I do have one of his XTBM Pro Signal Analyzer I haven't test one of these outlets.
Posting on his forum may get you faster input. (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

taflemer

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »

Thanks - had a look on JVDE and X10 Community.  Found one thread that identifies the units as a potential problem.  But nothing specific.

I am planning out a noise hunt.  Will contact XTB on an analyzer.  For now, I just moved the CM15A off the USB outlet to get it working again.  Back to dealing with house noise.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »

You never mentioned the CM15 was plugged into it!
If that outlet was indeed the issue with the Cm15 it will affect every thing on that circuit and the whole house to a lesser degree.
Noise generators and signal suckers should be behind a filter. Since this is a outlet you'll require a inline filter or remove it all together.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Brian H

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 06:12:01 AM »

I would definitely consider the USB outlet as a problem.
Its internal electronics should have a filter on them. So they don't spew electronic noise back on to the power lines. That same  filter would most likely kill X10 signals as noise.

taflemer

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:33:50 AM »

Thanks - I replace the combo USB/AC outlet with a std duplex unit.  Yes, the CM15A was plugged into the outlet.  Also, the wall wart that the USB outlet replaced has now been moved away from the CM15A.

To start at the beginning, I had this idea of mounting a tablet and CM15A on a board for a self contained X10 control point.  I really like the Microcenter Winbook tablet.  The 7 and 8" are around $US 100; it is one of the few that has a full size USB port without using a dongle; and the current model comes with WIN 8 that can be upgrades to 10.

AHP will install on the Winbook and runs well.  However the small screen size makes AHP a challenge to navigate.  Winbooks come with Windows home.  So an upgrade to pro would be need to do a client access.  Another $100.

My first step off the single board was to add a HDMI cable to another larger monitor and a wireless keyboard/mouse.  This works well.  I can sit at the monitor and make changes to AHP easily.

As I mentioned, I moved the tablet wall wart off the board as well.  Now, I am going to try a XPPF filter with a short extension cord to power the wall wart.  If this works, there is space to mount it on the board.  Any experience with the XPPF and CM15A within a foot?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »

I don't see a issue as long as the cm15 isn't getting power threw the XPPF as well.
You may wish to look at the Small Footprint PCs section of the forum here.
However do Post to it once your project is working.
I've Successfully ran the Cm15 from an Android mini TV stick using other software.
As well I now run a Asus EeeBox with AHP and PCC and the cm15 in one location and a HP Thin client in another.
The wall warts can pose a problem but nothing a filter won't fix.

Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

taflemer

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 09:32:22 AM »

I took the advice from Tuicemen and Brian on filtering the "wall wart".  However, admittedly I stumbled on the solution.

I had a new in the box XPPF.  Since I had been looking at XTB filters and others, I wanted to have a look at the insides of an XPPF.  When I opened I found the first coil completely loose.  The solder joints were cold.  Re-soldered the coil to the PCB and started to play with the board and an outlet to see how I could fit these into a single unit.

What I came up with is a little clunky, but it is working.  I used a weatherproof double box with a deco blank and the USB combo.  The inlet and outlet pins were removed from the XPPF and replaced with lead wires.  The XPPF PCB is mounted to the deco blank with nylon screws and washers.  The rest is just standard box wire up.  My expectation is that the XPPF should handle the load of a USB combo outlet.  Less than 5 amps.

The new box is mounted on the same board as the tablet and CM15A, with the CM15A plugged in before the XPPF and USB outlet.  I made a coiled pigtail cord to plug the new box into the unfiltered box feeding the CM15A.

I also picked up on Dave Houston's treasure chest of X10 mods.  Made a simple 18" passive antenna from coat hanger wire and attached to the CM15A.

Thanks to everybody's help here the board project is back in action.

DKBIALIK

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »

I have had much success with USB wall jacks.  I like the Leviton.
Pages: [1]

succession-resounding