Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: LM465 leakage current a problem?  (Read 1326 times)

webfooter

• Forum Supporter!
  • Helpful Rating: 0
LM465 leakage current a problem?
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »

I recently bought some of the new LED rope lights to replace the old incandescent rope lights I had for years. The warm LEDs give the area above my kitchen cabinets a nice glow from Dusk to 10:30pm daily. I noticed after AHP turns them OFF, the rope light is still ON, but dimmer when the LM465 modules are supposedly turned off. It is not objectionable but it makes the rope lights a night light. But they are technically never fully off.

Those LM465 modules have solid state switches so I suspect there is some leakage that leaves the LED rope light dimly lit. I program the LM465 with 0% or 100%, for OFF and ON, respectively.

Can the leakage current from the OFF LM465 cause it any damage?

Brian H

Re: LM465 leakage current a problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:00:38 AM »

Depending on the age of the LM465. It may have Local Control Sensing current on the output.
Where you can toggle the lights local switch from On to Off and back On. This would allow the LM465 to turn back On with no need for an X10 controllers command.
Later CFL friendly LM465s where supposed to have much less leakage on them but real light loads could possibly still glow dimly. Easiest fix for most is put a 4 watt incandescent night light bulb on the output. Maybe with a small power cube so both the LEDs and small night light bulb are both connected. Some have used a resistor in place of the small bulb but not as convenient and easier to make an unsafe connection.

webfooter

• Forum Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »

Thanks Brian H. The LM465 must be a newer breed.  It has no PB to manually actuate the output.

As you recommended, I added a small load, a 5 watt mobile phone charger, in parallel to the rope lights. An OFF command sent to the LM465s address extinguished entirely the LED rope light.  That proves your idea.   (GJ)  But I like the night light effect of the dimly lit LED ropes all night so I have removed the parallel load.

Those LED ropes are rated almost 1 watt per foot and I have each 12 foot long rope on its own LM465. So 12 watts wont turn off an LM465 but 17 watts will? I still do not know if running these rope lights 24 hours a day with an ON and mostly OFF LM465 is harmful for the lights or the module.

I realized I had also recently changed from incandescent ropes to LED ropes on the outside edge of the floor on the backyard deck. Sure enough, as it got dark, I went outside and looked at the ropes to find they were dimly lit. When the AHP determines it was DUSK, the rope lights came on full. Those LED rope light segments are in parallel on one SR227 X-10 receptacle mounted in an outdoor rated box. That receptacle is a module that operates a plunger or solenoid to force a cam to open some contacts on the hot leg of the receptacle. No leakage current to hold on the LED ropes here like the LM465. The LED light ropes have a wide spot in the cord from its plug to drop the AC to a rectified low voltage DC. So I thought that maybe there could be a capacitor in the wide spot. I unplugged the light rope from the SR277. I shorted the prongs on the plug and I shorted the output of the rectifier. I put it all back together and plugged it back into the SR277. The LED rope returned to dimly lit. I have the light ropes outside come on a DUSK and turn off around 11pm. I woke up this morning before dawn. I walked outside to find the rope lights dimly lit. I can not explain this one.

Brian H

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:39:36 AM »

The SR277 has a very small sensing current on it. To determine if the cam switch is On or Off.
That very small sensing voltage may effect some very light loads.

LM456 with a local control PB. I have never seen that animal.
You can tell the latest LM465 modules. They have a Soft Start feature. Where they ramp On and Off at about a two second interval.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:02:08 PM by Brian H »
Pages: [1]

succession-resounding