Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: X10 - XTB  (Read 1283 times)

grizzy

• Helpful Rating: 0
X10 - XTB
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »

Hello,

I'm slowly starting to migrate to insteon but will require 2 years and wonder if at some point insteon will not work ?

I have noted the insteon has affected the x10 signal, however my new XTB booster has helped the x10 side.

Will the XTB affect or absorb the insteon signal ?

I have read it will pass the insteon signal but not boost it.

So is there a device that will help the insteon side ?

Thanks

Brian H

Re: X10 - XTB
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »

Jeff may have the definitive answer. I know my XTB-IIR was designed to NOT effect Insteon.
Yes Insteon devices do effect X10. Because they also have a power line transmitter in them. They do absorb some X10 and Insteon power line signals. The discontinued X10 two way modules also absorbed X10 power line signals.
As more Insteon devices are added. X10 may deteriorate as the Insteon performance improves. As Insteon messages are repeated. X10 ones are not. Dual band Insteon modules use RF and power line signals. So they are easier to use. Though power line noise is still an issue with Insteon. Just not a critical as with X10.
One point. The latest Insteon devices have eliminated X10 support. So users like me. That have X10 addresses added to their module. For things like a 16 button HR12A Palm Pad are now out of luck.

Brian H

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 06:24:46 AM »

Most Insteon users will add a few Range Extenders or the older Access Points to the system. If Dual Band Modules don't reach all areas of the home. Not as crucial  as the older power line only Insteon Modules where.

Your Insteon performance should improve as more Insteon devices are added and they can pass Insteon messages between them. Since they do not pass X10. Many users find X10 gets worse as more Insteon devices are added.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 06:55:00 AM by Brian H »

grizzy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:42:05 PM »

I prefer to keep some of my x10 modules and hope to find a middle ground with both types.

I'm using the isy994 together with Twin Lake Home Automation and remote Client , also have active home pro for some dedicated control.

I'm considering putting the XTB-IIR at the primary transmission point and moving the XTBR to the outer most point on my system (an outbuilding 250' from house) Any Suggestions ?

Insteon seems good so far, but very expensive. Also I must me extremely careful using the isy in co-existence with the other controllers.

thanks for the feedback

Brian H

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »

I still have a few X10 modules. Like some Chime Modules. There is no Insteon type Chime Module.
The ISY994i can have X10 commands in programs. Even if you don't have the optional A10/X10 firmware module. I send a few X10 commands to the Chime Modules.

My X10 signal levels are very good with my XTB-IIR near the breaker panel. The XTBM X10 signal meter shows my lowest voltage is 1.25 volts in some locations and the highest 9.99 volts. The highest it can read. In other locations.

If you have not joined the UDI Forums and found their WIKI. Both are a wealth of knowledge and UDI is one of the best companies I have ever seen support wise.

grizzy

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »

I have joined the UDI forums and agree on the wealth of information.

I have the x10 add on module for my isy994 and feel it was worth the steep price. I'm looking at getting the networking module soon as I bought the web8 control board. I'm sure I'm going to need so help and initial program module to talk to the web8 board.

I have my x10 system interfaced with opto 22 which is terrific industrial grade I/O and control. The older G1 - G4 hardware can be had surplus for a song and dime. I want to get it interfaced through the network and isy also.

Big dreams with too little time and energy as those years creep up.  Gee all my working life I could not wait to get old and retire. WOW now I wish I had those years back. Oh Well "would of could of and should of"
Pages: [1]

succession-resounding