Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Selecting the right gear for my X10 project  (Read 1625 times)

jphebert

• Helpful Rating: 0
Selecting the right gear for my X10 project
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Hi all,

Looking for some advice to select the right part for the right reason in the house in my 1st X10 project:

1- Outdoor light switch: it has a 3-way wiring setup as these can be turned on/off from 2+ places so I thought I'd use a WS13A

2- Living room light switch w/ dimmer: XPDI3

3- Master bedroom lightswitch: here is the tricky one (not sure), where the lights are connected to a normal watt 110 outlet we we just plug'em in.  So I was thinking XPR-W - so I can maintain my current dimmer switch.

Any advice welcome - many thanks in advace!

JP

PS: got the ActiveHome Pro from Marmitek already  ;)

Dave X10

• Beta Tester
    • Dave's Domain On-Line
Re: Selecting the right gear for my X10 project
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »

Hi all,

Looking for some advice to select the right part for the right reason in the house in my 1st X10 project:

1- Outdoor light switch: it has a 3-way wiring setup as these can be turned on/off from 2+ places so I thought I'd use a WS13A

I see a mistake there... the WS13A... is a relay reactive like switch... NOT a 3-way. It also isn't an outdoor switch. Also remember.... when replacing a 3-way switch it is often best to replace BOTH switches.

2- Living room light switch w/ dimmer: XPDI3

The XPDI3 is a good switch... dims and is designed for control of FANS as well.

3- Master bedroom lightswitch: here is the tricky one (not sure), where the lights are connected to a normal watt 110 outlet we we just plug'em in.  So I was thinking XPR-W - so I can maintain my current dimmer switch.

The XPR-W looks good to me. However.... it will still need to receive some sort of X10 PLC (PowerLine Command signal) to turn On/Off.

The use of Home Automation is limited... only by our imaginations.

Brian H

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 06:23:19 AM »

If the switch for the outside lights is inside the home. The WS13A will control them On and Off as mentioned. No dimming with a relay type switch.

To do a three way setup. The WS14A companion switch can trigger the WS13A On and Off. By using the traveler wires normally found between the switches. Connected to the WS13As Control Input Terminal and WS14As Terminals.

One added thing. The WS13A needs a Line and Neutral power connection to work. Along with the Load connection to the lights. Check and verify you have a Line and Neutral power connection where you want to use the WS13A. If you don't have both Line and Neutral. Sometimes you can use one of the traveler wires to bring the Neutral connection back from the other switch position or load itself.

http://www.authinx.com/x10/manuals/WS13A.pdf
http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/WS14A.pdf
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:31:09 AM by Brian H »

jphebert

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »

Thanks for the replies - the outdoor lights & main dimmer lights I consider solved.

For the other lights where the XPR-W is installed, I thought that was going to act as the "on-off mechanism".  Or would I be better off leaving the existing electrical outlet and installing a XPDI3 to control these lights?  Can this item dim lights plugged in a socket?

Brian H

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »

The XPR-W can replace the existing wall outlet.
The module is X10 controlled and will turn On and Off. It does not dim.
http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/XPR.pdf

If the present outlet is controlled by a dimmer or regular type wall switch. It will have to be bypassed so the X10 power line signals can get through to the XPR-W controlled outlet and not be disabled if turned off at the wall switch.

I would NOT use a wall switch Dimmer to control an outlet. Too easy to connect the incorrect type of load to it and cause damage. I also believe it is against the Electrical Code to use any type of dimmer to control an outlet.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:17:28 PM by Brian H »

jphebert

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »

Many thanks - so what can I use to control & dim the lights in a wall outlet with the dimmer switch in the wall?  I'm stomped :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »

You shouldn't be dimming wall outlets.
For your lamps that plug into a outlet get lamp modules (LM465)
These plug into your outlet and your lamps plug into them. ;>
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]