Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Problems with Lifejacket  (Read 63 times)

xytsrm

• Helpful Rating: 0
Problems with Lifejacket
« on: March 23, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »

Hi Tuiceman,

It's been a long time, about a year.

To refresh, I needed to move AHP to a new machine, at that time the old machine was inaccessible so I couldn't get the Volume ID; but I have since been able to do so from a backup.

Currently, I'm finally getting around to migrating to a Window 10 PC.
Everything went well until it came time to run Lifejacket.
As we discussed, I redirected the installation away from "Program Files (x86)", because of the extra security issues, to the regular "Program Files". However, even though AHP was installed there, for some reason "X10Nets" was still in the "Common Files" of "Program Files (x86) and the LifeJacket "Stop service" function couldn't find it. Curiously, the other Lifejacket functions (Start & Status) work.
I was able to resolve the problem by moving a copy of "X10Nets" to the "Common Files" folder of "Program File" and was ultimately able to register AHP in my name.

You may now ask; 'what's the problem?'.
Not being able to leave well enough alone, I assume LifeJacket would interrogate the registry to find the "X10Nets" service, so I changed the address to point at the "Common Files" folder of "Program Files". Unfortunately, when I went back to restore the original Volume ID, the "Stop" function could no longer find "X10Nets" (Start & Status still work).
I even tried restoring the PC back to before any of the installations, re-installed everything. But, now, even if I move a copy of "X10Nets" to the "Common Files" of "Program Files" the Lifejacket "Stop" function can't find the service.

It seems that address of the "X10Nets" service for the Lifejacket "Stop" function is hard-coded (not obtained from the registry), because the other functions (Start & Status) work.

I'm desperate, I hope you have some suggestions.

Thanks, X (BTW: my name is Joe)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:25:24 PM by xytsrm »

xytsrm

Re: Problems with Lifejacket
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 03:03:36 PM »

Hi Tuicemen,

Don't know if you ever reviewed my previous post, but I've managed to resolve the problem.
Because the target PC was new, I simply resorted it to factory setting, and started from the beginning.

The only issue I see with your AHP installation package is that even if one directs the installation to "Program Files" folder [as opposed to "Program Files (x86)], the installer still puts the x10 folder in the Common Files folder of "Program Files (x86)". One needs to copy that folder to the Common Files of folder "Program Files".

X

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »

I must have missed this sorry.
The installer installs to program fules if your using 32 bit OS if using 64 bit it installs to program files x86 that is the way the installer works. You then can move the AHP folder to where ever you wish. I do not recommend placing it in  the Program files folder. The X10 folder needs to be where windows installs it as  it includes system files .Ive not experimented with moving the X10 folder only the AHP one. Life jacket looks for x10nets from the folder depending on the Os bit version
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:33:12 PM by Tuicemen »
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 11:45:25 PM »

Hi Tuicemen,

So far it seems to be working, but I haven't as yet tested it fully; been working on getting MAPI working.
What I did was install AHP in the regular Program Files, that went ok, but the X10Nets is still directed to the PF(x86) "Common Files" folder in folder X10. After I let Lifejacket transfer my x10prod.sys to the X10-Common in the PF(X86),
I then put a copy of the X10 folder into the "Program Files" "Common files" folder, and everything appears to be working.

I know your not using AHP anymore, and it's been a long time since you created your AHP installer & Lifejacket.
But, If you could revisit the installer so when the initial AHP installtion is changed from "Program Files (x86) to something else like "Program Files" all the following installers make the same alterations.

When we last communicated, I had tried an initial installation to a Windows 7 machine, using the LifeJacket default so it came up registered in your name; that's the one running now. But, my intention was to get it running under Windows 10, and registered in my name.  As I said it does appear to be running correctly. Once I get this MAPI issue sorted-out I be able to give it a proper test.

Good communicating with you again, I'll let you know how things turn out (I think I've finally got a handle on the MAPI issue)  :)
X

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 11:23:00 AM »

The installer uses the X10WTI  x10driver installer which  I can't  rework even if I wanted to the files which are placed in the Program files x86/common/x10 folder should not effect how AHP works as any changes done to these files are done via the windows OS the issue is with files changed by the end user. I also expect you to have issues with AHP timers and macros if AHP is located in the program files folder as Microsoft also applied extra security to that folder of the 64 bit OS. This is why I recommend moving AHP to C:
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »

Hi Tuicemen,

Thanks for the additional information about how the installer works. Yes, I understand the security issues with "Program Files (x86)". It's my experience that the same restrictions are not applied to "Program Files".  When you had mentioned installing outside of "Program Files (x86); I misunderstood that you had meant install into "Program Files (x86) as usual, but then move the folder "ActiveHome Pro" under the C-drive. That's why I re-directed the installation to "Program Files".  But, as I mentioned it all seems to have worked, with the slight modifications I made and AHP is coming up registered in my name.

Thanks again for your help, I maybe one of the last still using AHP - lol - but my software is where the real smart house resides.

X.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »

If I remember right I did try running AHP from program files  it did run from there issue was when I attempted to add additional holiday settings. These would not get saved  I believe the same was true for adding additional timers.. I never required any new macros. If I remember AHP appeared to save the settings but on a restart of AHP the new settings didn't  load. These tests were with very early versions of Win 10 so things may have changed.
Life jacket was never intended to be a long term solution as Authinx was looking to fix AHP. However it became appearent they didn't  have all the software code, key parts were on servers that got damaged.
I'm glad to see everything is working corectly  for you. (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:20:42 PM »

Hi Tuicemen,

Again I appreciate the feedback; I'll be on the lookout if those issues still crop-up.
I just replaced the old Win 7 PC with the new Win 10, so far so good with AHP.
The only issue I'm having is with the network discovery of the new Win 10 PC, which is now the forth PC on my network. The other three PC's (two Win 10 & one Win 8) see each other. But neither see's the new Win 10 PC. It in the same workgroup and it's network sharing is on; the only difference is it's hardwired to the router. However, the old Win 7 PC was connected the same way and was visable by all PC's on the network. Go figure  (CZB)

BTW: As I check things out more rigorously I let you know how things are going.

X.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:22:21 PM by xytsrm »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 08:39:11 AM »

Do keep us informed, if your old pcs were 32 bit and this new one is 64 bit that maybe what is causing your net work issues the 64 bit OS requires a bit more info to setup I also had to play with settings when I switched to a 64 bit Os for all my machines to see each other. If  i remember I ended up re doing the net work starting with my 64 bit machine.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »

Actually, the old PC was a 32 bit and the new one is 64. However, the PC (64 bit) that can't see the new PC, can see other 64 bit PC's on the network. The only difference is the new PC is connected via ethernet, not WiFi. Curiously, the new PC can see the other PC, and none of the other PC's can see the new one. Seems like the ethernet is a one-way-street --- lol
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:40:40 PM by xytsrm »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 02:21:34 PM »

Yep that's how mine was setup too it could see the others but they couldn't  see it.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]

succession-resounding