Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Finally getting set to use my x10 hardware  (Read 909 times)

medic5678

• Helpful Rating: 0
Finally getting set to use my x10 hardware
« on: December 10, 2019, 07:15:11 PM »

I suppose it's late in the game here, but wondering if this is just too obsolete to proceed.  I've got many of the x10 motion detectors and interfaces and would like to hook up a mini pc  with windows 10 to monitor the motion detectors and control  lights, etc.   This would be a dedicated PC for home security.

Is there any software to support X10 except for active home pro?  I do recall Tuicemen had PC companion, which I did donate and get but I just got distracted and never implemented it.  My situation has changed and I need to protect my wife and child on our farm and I want to give her the heads up if any intruder is heading to the house..  Thanks to all who reply!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Finally getting set to use my x10 hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »

You may wish to look at Home Genie it is much more powerful then AHP. It will run on windows or Linux. However where it realy shines is on a raspberry pi.
I've switched to using this myself and have it running at my off grd place on a Pi 3b+ as well have it running on a pi zeroW and mini pc at my city place.
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

medic5678

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 02:14:58 PM »

Okay, after thinking about this a bit, I'm going to put Home Genie on my laptop and toy with it for a bit to see if I can get it to work there first.  :).  I'm very familiar with the Windows world and Javascript, so this may be the place to start. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 04:35:56 PM »

You can find the pi zero w cheeper.they will fit insid a x10 door window sensor case and run on 5 volts. I just bought the board for $7 had a dozen 5 volt power supplies and my ups has two usb ports which is what I ended up using. HG runs as a server so you access it from any browser. There is a section on the x10 forum on The pix10hub which includes HG Ill be updating the pi zero w SD image prior to Christmas. Also there is a dedicated forum  http://homegenie.club
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

medic5678

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »

Ok, you're making me curious.  I bought the $34 kit from Amazon.    I'd prefer follow the footsteps of others than walk in relative isolation.  I've got the x10 stuff stored somewhere in deep in my studio.  Really looking forward to learning this as I want to automate a green house I'm building as well.  Python, here I come :).  Thanks for the pointers, Tuicemen.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 08:09:29 AM »

There is a small section on the pix10hub here as well I have a small section for HG where Ive posted some addons cteated using C#. Others have played with HG on Windows before moving it to a Pi but if AHP is on the same pc it can cause issues. I look forward to seeing some of the things you create for HG.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

medic5678

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 06:00:59 AM »

AHP isn't viable.  It was one of the most curious and inexplicably stupid business moves I've ever seen.  Why didn't X10 update their software with a slick application? That would have made sales skyrocket.  Just sheer idiocy, imo.

medic5678

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 06:02:14 AM »

Getting my Pi kit on Monday.  I'm so tickled I'm like a little kid at Christmas.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »

When x10 WTI went under and Authinx took over they had big plansfor AHP however the servers that had all code were a mess and some key ones lost. Even the hardware can't be updated as there is noone left that knows the iner working Im told. I did manage to mod a Cm15 and put a pi zero w inside http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1286.0
There are lots of possibilites so Im sure youll have tons of fun with you pi once it arives.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

medic5678

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »

Well the good news is that the 10 hardware is still readily available.  Being able to monitor and control it to it's fullest is awesome.  Sure, if the FBI is going to come to my property and run a secret mission, they'll slip in undetected to find us frying Thai peanuts.  Somehow, I doubt that's a priority for them.  The garden variety off the street thug is over matched by x10, which means for the people I want to stop, it's totally adequate.  Obviously, I've got security on my brain :).  But once I really get into this, I want to open a whole new world of automation for the plant business.
Pages: [1]