Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 🛠HG Tools  (Read 77 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
🛠HG Tools
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »

This is Actually a group of tools created for the RPi which would normally require one to use the RPi terminal window.
It also includes a new widget which displays current time and some RPi vitals which I hope others and I to expand on.
The HG_Tools.zip includes the HGX files for each program and needs to be unzipped so you can install any or all programs. Also the tuicemen_tools_info.zip (included inside) is the Custom widget don't unzip this as HG does it.
I recommend creating a Tools group in the HG programs to install any or all the tools but that up to the user . you must be in a group to import the programs.
the Custom widget must be imported from the widget screen clicking on actions brings up the option.

These are the current tools included in the tools kit hopefully it can be expanded on.
1: DateTime Reset, this will reset the RPi clock if for what ever reason it fails to be off.
2: RPi Reboot, this  does what the name suggests
3: RPi UpDate, this  does a RPi package update not a firmware update
4: SafeShutdown, this  does what the name suggests
5:DateTime Info, this displays date,time,the Pi thinks it is as well as the time the RPi has been power up and running and the CPU temperature.(no more info will be added to this)
6: Status Info, this  displays same info as the DateTime Info  as well as added info but all info at once in a single custom widget shown below. Currently there are no plans to add more info to this.
7: tuicemen_tools_info.zip, a Custom Widget for Status Info. Note: the DateTime Info app can also be set to use this widget if one wishes with a edit to the start up tab  changing the widget the program tries to use.
8: RPi Memory Cleaner, this basically flushes your cache memory possibly freeing up some held by an update or install.
9: RPi Drive Cleaner, this will free up space held from Deb package installers,  RPi upgrades, & updates.

Note: package last updated 2019-04-19
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:39:30 AM by Tuicemen »
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: 🛠HG Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 04:04:15 PM »

I've been trying to think  what info users may wish to see in a widget for the Smart info app beyond what is currently in the tools package. :`)
I myself like to see how much free space and memory I have available.
While playing around I noticed my free space was getting dangerously low.
turns out I hadn't expanded the file system. (CZB)
A simple readout showing my disk size would have brought this to my attention real fast.
The information that you can get from a RPi board is staggering. so this app could get very large if one wished to expand on it.
I've added a few extras to this widget that I plan to include in the next tools pack update.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:25:47 AM »

I started to experiment with cleaning up my RPi system in hopes to get a bit of a performance boost. I wasn't to concerned with free space but figured I'd look into this as well. what I was trying to do was free up some Memory as these little boards are low on this to begin with.
I figure I could free up a few KB which would speed things up what I wasn't expecting was the amount of memory I was able to free.
looking at the attachment in the previous post you can see I had 58956 KB of free memory viewing the attached you can see I over tripled the amount of free memory to 175588 KB.
That's totally unbelievable 😲 I then attempted to do the same on another Pi Zero w. This has a few more things running so I wasn't expecting anywhere near the performance boost, and I was right I didn't get anywhere near the freed up memory However it was still close to double what it was sitting at.
This was achieved using more then one tool and some require root access.
These all free up cache so the performance  increase is short lived but so far my system is still performing with increased free memory a day latter with over double still free on one machine and about 1/2 extra freed on the other. I expect this memory tool once I've got it all figured out and posted will be a popular tool for HG.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 02:55:48 PM »

Learning I could so easily improve my Pi ZeroW performances I figured it may be interesting to display other memory stats like Total, actual available and what is actually free. With this info I discovered both PIs were not  starting out the same! :o
Though both boards came from the same supplier one has more initial memory ::) :`)
This is adds to the reason of the lower freed memory. When looking at what was actually available memory boost was about the same percentage gained. Also though these tests were done on RPi ZeroW boards all pi boards can benefit from this! ;>
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 07:15:55 AM »

The new program is ready with a couple extra memory read outs Total, Available & Free. I also will include a RPIi Drive &RPi memory cleaner. These tools realy only need to be done after a RPi package  install to clean up left over things from a install. They may clean up things after a HG update. I'll atempt to get a updated package ready and posted by the end of day. (Chr)

Update: New package is now available!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:17:54 AM by Tuicemen »
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

soxfan1966

• Forum Supporter!
  • Helpful Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 02:31:02 PM »

I just downloaded the updated tools programs (I did not have to do anything with the Widget - it just automatically updated with the new info)

I first deleted the old Status Info program then uploaded the new one, as well as the Memory and Drive Cleaners.

I did a Before screen cap, then ran both the cleaner tools, and took another screen shot once it updated - looks like I got quite a bit of space back

** Ugh looks like I overwrote the Before screen cap I took but MemFree was around 61K and is not at about 181K

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:32:53 PM by soxfan1966 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 05:42:21 PM »

It should be noted that although this package was created strictly for RPi boards it is possible for them to be run on a PC which has been installed with Linux.
The only thing that needs alteration is the status info program and a simple driver install. `:)
Windows or MAC OS machines are another story. :( ::) :`)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]

succession-resounding