Tuicemens

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Old ACER Aspire One has bit the dust; taking AHPro along with it.  (Read 435 times)

xytsrm

• Helpful Rating: 0
Re: Old ACER Aspire One has bit the dust; taking AHPro along with it.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »

Perhaps I misunderstood something (as usual), I thought I needed the .xls & .sys files  from a valid registration to be cloned by AHP_Lifejacket?

Mickey

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 02:50:45 PM »

you need the sys file if your current AHP is registered if it comes up unregistered saving it is of no use.
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 03:04:34 PM »

Got it.

xytsrm

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 05:59:05 PM »

Tuicemen,

Sorry to keep asking questions, but here's the instructions that had me confused about the files that needed to be copied into the AHP_Lifejacket folder:

"I'm currently creating a tool to  make a new PC with a unregistered version of AHP to  be a clone of a registered version on another PC.
This tool will only require one to copy the Volume ID (write it down) from a registered AHP PC
The ahp_plugin.xml from AHP
The x10prod.sys file from C:\Program files..... \Common Files\x10\common
Since every ones AHX files are different these will need to be copied manually"

When it mentioned "Copy the Volume ID from a registered AHP PC", I made the assumption that the ahp_plugin.xml and x10prod.sys were also to come from the "REGISTERED" AHP PC.

What I NOW think you mean is that when I install your un-registered AHP I need to copy the ahp_plugin.xml and the x10prod.sys files created after that installation into the AHP_Lifejacket folder; is that correct?

Mickey

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:05:05 PM by xytsrm »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »

You need to read the whole AHP-Lifejacket thread early posts don't accurately reflect the final build.
Since you lost your registration of AHP and your Plugins you only need the AHX files so you can keep your setup.
If you wish to be safe save the whole AHP folder or just rename it.
Once done you can move anything over to the new AHP.
It has been what feels like forever since I created this tool and at least a year since last time I had to build someone a sys file for their PC.
I no longer use AHP for any thing and don't plan on returning to it. forgive me but my memory isn't what it once was.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 07:16:18 PM »

Tuicemen,

Believe me, at my age I know what it's like to try and resurrect memories of projects I haven't worked on for years - lol.
I do appreciate your efforts under the circumstances.

So you saying I don't need to copy the AHP_plugin.xml, or the x10prod.sys to the AHP_Lifejacket folder?

Also, again referring to that initial post, you mention coping the Volume ID from a registered PC. I may have a problem getting a Volume ID from a registered PC.  As I mentioned the Target Windows 7 PC I'm going to experiment with was initially registered, the only reason it now asks for registration because the HD is in a slightly different PC, but the Volume ID should be the same as when it was registered.  If I can't use that Vol ID, the only other Volume ID on a registered PC is the XP PC, for which I have a backup that I can retrieve individual files, but the HD on the PC is non-functional and I'm not sure where in the backup file set I would find it's Volume ID.

While, if absolutely necessary, I could install an new HD in the XP PC, but the task wouldn't easy as it's what was called a small "Netbook"; I would literally need to tear the PC apart to replace the HD.

Mickey

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »

In reality if you only had smartmacros there is no benefit to using your sys file.
 Lifejacket will give you that plus the security module except they come registered in my name not yours. Lifejacket creates the xml and sys files the sys file and Volume ID of the registered PC is what is needed to register to your name and any plugins you may have had.
 Since you can't retrieve a ID and SYS file of a working registered AHP use lifejacket with default settings if you find a copy of said files down the road you can always run lifejacket again if you wish. Don't over think this! it is easier then your thinking.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »

Ah, that's great, didn't realize AHP_Lifjacket had a default mode that provided a registered version of "Smart Macros". That's all I really need, my software adds all the intelligence.

My over-thinking comes from my engineering background working for the US Army designing equipment for the Warfighter; I needed to have every alternative considered and nailed down; soldier's lives may have depended on it.

Thanks again for all your help, Mickey

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 07:21:10 AM »

Not a problem lifejacket doesn't need to be kept on your PC afterwards either. However I recommend keeping a backup of it in case of another PC melt down.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »

Hi Tuicemen,

I've been trying to get the old ACER up first, but looks like no luck there without tearing it down to replace the HD.

I'm going to run the AHP_Lifejacket in it's default mode first.
However, I did want to confirm something; assuming I find a valid registered AHP installation, do the Volume ID, AHP_plugin.xml & x10Prod.sys all need to come from that same registered installation?

Mickey

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »

You will need the volume Id and  x10Prod.sys files to come from that same install.
you don't need the xml file
 Lifejacket creates an AHP_plugin.xml based on what plugins you select.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

xytsrm

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »

Thanks again,

I'll give you an FYI on the outcome  ;>
Mickey
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:28:18 PM by xytsrm »

xytsrm

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 10:00:37 PM »

FYI: Just to let you know the AHP_Lifejacket default mode was quite successful. However, I have an idea that might let my own installation function again; if I have the files in a backup. I'll let you know.

Thanks again, Mickey

xytsrm

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 09:23:05 PM »

Tuicemen,
 FYI: I ran a little experiment; after installing your AHP and running the default Lifejacket. I renamed the "ActiveHome Pro" folder and replaced it with my original. Lo and behold, AHP starts displaying only my "Smart Macros" as registered, which was what I originally had registered. Tested my main AHX file, everything seems to be correct.
The only remaining thing I need to do is get the emailing working.  My software uses MAPI to communicate with the email client which was Outlook Express; that's gone. But, I have installed Office 2010; from what I've read Outlook 2010 still supports the MAPI server. Hopefully I'll get my emailing capability back; it's part of my home security.

Thanks again, Mickey
Pages: 1 [2]

succession-resounding