Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thoughts on HomeGenie  (Read 3985 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Thoughts on HomeGenie
« on: May 12, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »

I initially tried this on a Windows Machine and did not like it.
I expected being Windows it would be a simple point and click setup. It was not! :(
Recently I picked up a Pi board (actually two) one to play with and the other to act as a low power PC for my off grid (solar powered) place.
I was hesitant about loading this to a Pi as I'd seen so many people post issues with just that aspect.
Install was simple but not just a point and click like a Windows install. see Pi & HomeGenie for Dummies
I'm not sure why this isn't possible as I had tested HG on Linux many years ago and this was possible.
This is a powerful piece of software however there is a big learning curve which most users aren't willing to undertake. You also need to learn a bit of coding to get any decent macros.
The web UI is sharp and is fairly customizable but I'm still not convinced it is for me. ???
Like so many HA software the original developer has walked away from this and it has been forked.
A newer version was created but from reading configurations from the older builds can't be easily transferred (if at all)
How long I stick with this depends on how stable it is for me. I really don't wish to learn a new programing language but I may be forced to do so if I stick with it. ::) :`)
In the end I may be more worth my while creating something from scratch for myself.
 UltraLite for PCC I believe can be converted to work  on Linux with different X10 drivers.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:10:20 AM by Tuicemen »
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Thoughts on HomeGenie
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »

So far HG has been fairly stable running on the Pi 3B+ as well as the Zero W.
I had some lock ups while configuring on both Pis but backing up reguarly before programing anything new makes for an easy restore.
Coding new projects into HG is a bit easier then expected. I can Use C# which is fairly simular to VB and an easy conversion.
It has allowed me to replace my HP Thinclient at my off grid place with a Pi saving a little on power consumption.
The Timers and macros are far better then thouse in AHP even with the SmartMacro plugin.
I managed to recode the included Philips Hue hub interface code to work with HA-Bridge so there realy is not much I can't control now. `:)
It looks like I'll be sticking with this for now(at least at my off grid place).
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »

The weather widgets for Weather Underground (available in initial install) and the Optional Open Weather (a free downloadable program from in HG) both supply lots of data.
HG can utilize this data and trigger macros when conditions change on each weather Pull. `:)
Both require an API key to work Open Weather allows you to create extra free keys. Weather Underground no longer offers free keys.  :( luckily I already have one. I've discovered I can use both weather APIs in a macro. :0~
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »

The original developer of HG resurfaced this summer and started to address some issues posted on GitHub. `:) ~:0~
I posted a few issues which I've currently encountered some were addressed already `:)
The current version now will Update from inside the Web UI so no need to manually do it.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

brobin

• Forum Supporter!
  • Helpful Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »

I think I might try HG out on one of the spare $5 PiZWs I picked up at MicroCenter while in Houston the past couple of weeks. I'm selling that house but taking the Stargate to keep as a spare. I'll leave all the Leviton X10 wall switches in place and, if they're interested, leave the Pi with HG on it so the new owners won't be left in the dark (pun intended).   ;>
 In the past I've sold a couple of houses and featured the home automation functionality as a selling point. However, the new owners never were interested in it and ended up calling me to come over and make schedule changes. I would do it once and offer to teach them but their eyes would just glaze over and they ended up removing everything.  (CZB) This time, unless the buyer is an avid HA enthusiast, the controller stays with me!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »

I'm Hooked!
Home Genie is going to stay both here and at my Off grid place.  :0~
The ease of use conviced me this was the software for a X10 Pi Hub and thus the PiX10Hub image was born. the original image was intened just for the Pi Zero boards but I've since created an image that will install HG to just about any Pi Board.
I've started to create several HG Programs (macro, scripts) and modify others to suit my needs. I now have HG handling directly about 95% of my HA devices and can email me when anyone of them is turned on, if I wish. The cool thing is I can now control any of my HA devices with a PX10 button press from any X10 remote or smart phone though I still prefere my remotes for home use.
Originaly I used the web interface on my smart phone then desided to test the free HG app.
This was clunky so it rarely was used. I decided to test the HomeGenie Plus app and Wow I'm glad I did. Very customizable and I can control my off grid and city place from the same app something I had hoped for from the X10 WM100 Wi-fi apps.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1]

succession-resounding