Tuicemens

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some Alex10 Questions  (Read 3985 times)

geobrick

• Helpful Rating: 0
Some Alex10 Questions
« on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »

Tuicemen, Thanks for all your work keeping X10 alive and creating this software to bring X10 into the future.

I have AHP with a CM15 module (and recently added the new wifi module). I also have an alexa device but have not set it up for home automation yet (I only have x10 devices around the house).

Questions:
1) Does Alex10 (and HA) need to be on the same PC as AHP?
2) Does AHP need to be running?
3) What links Alexa to the PC running Alex10? Do I need to be running an Alexa App on the same PC?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Some Alex10 Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »

Tuicemen, Thanks for all your work keeping X10 alive and creating this software to bring X10 into the future.

I have AHP with a CM15 module (and recently added the new wifi module). I also have an alexa device but have not set it up for home automation yet (I only have x10 devices around the house).

Questions:
3) What links Alexa to the PC running Alex10? Do I need to be running an Alexa App on the same PC?

I can't take all the credit for keeping X10 Alive. the owner of Authinx (x10) asked me to do this and supplied the amazon dot and initial info to get me started.
Answers:
1:Alex10 does not need to be on the same PC as AHP but a PC interface would be required so it is better that they are.
2:AHP doesn't need to be running nor does Alex10 only the ha-bridge and or SmartCloud
3: the Ha-Bridge and or SmartCloud links Alexa to the PC running Alex10.
Actually either one or both need to be on the PC running Alex10.

Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

geobrick

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »

Questions:

I can't take all the credit for keeping X10 Alive. the owner of Authinx (x10) asked me to do this and supplied the amazon dot and initial info to get me started.
Answers:
1:Alex10 does not need to be on the same PC as AHP but a PC interface would be required so it is better that they are.
2:AHP doesn't need to be running nor does Alex10 only the ha-bridge and or SmartCloud
3: the Ha-Bridge and or SmartCloud links Alexa to the PC running Alex10.
Actually either one or both need to be on the PC running Alex10.

Yes. I agree Authinx gets the most credit for taking on the X10 challenge but you deserve a lot for keeping the X10 community active during the rough times and probably helped make X10 seem like a viable risk for Authinx. I hope it continues to work out for them (and all of us). I'm still buying modules and as I said above, I've just received and set up the Wifi module and it seems to be great so far. I've been wanting that for years and just found out they released it.

Back to Alex10...
1) What  do you mean when you  say I'd need a "PC interface" if Alex10 and AHP were on separate PCs? Do you mean a physical cable like a Serial cable or connected via a network over ethernet? Or did you just mean an interface like the CM15. If you meant something like the CM15, are you saying both PCs would need one to make the set up work? (I intend to put Alex10 and AHP on a single PC anyway - I just wanted to understand the options - It requires me to move AHP to another PC and the current version I have shows it as "registered" which may not be the case when I move it. I'm not even sure how I have it registed now. The PC was built after the servers went offline and I didn't use your lifejacket tool back then.).

3) I'm not sure I understand the HA-Bridge. I get that it functions as a bridge between Home Automation equipment and Alexa, but I'm not sure how Alexa becomes aware of it on my system. I've gotten as far as configuring Alexa by adding a "Skill" but which system do I need to select when adding a home automation Skill so it will link with Alex10 via the HA bridge? That seems to be the missing link of the puzzle for me.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »

1: Alex10 uses the SDK to send commands to a PC interface like cm15 it doesn't communicate over the network. It wasn't designed that way. if you planed to have AHP on another PC you would need two interfaces (cm15, cm19...)
Moving AHP to another PC isn't a big deal there is some info you'll need from the old PC to have AHP come registered back to you if the name of who it is registered to doesn't mater then you can use Lifejacket with the default info.

3:The HA-Bridge is a Philips Hue emulator which acts as a software HUB.
Alexa thinks it is turning on/off or dimming a Philips hue device
Alexa automatically looks for hue hubs connected to your network so the ha-bridge needs to have access to your router either wired or wireless it doesn't need to have access to the internet. if you do allow access to the internet be sure to setup a username and password.
I've done that for mine anyways(you can never be to safe)
No skill is needed for HA-Bridge nor is a Philips hue skill required.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

geobrick

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »

OK. So Alex10 uses the SDK to send the X10 commands to the CM15. So I'll continue working on getting AHP moved to the PC with Alex10 (it's on 24/7). I tried the Marmitek method to move AHP it but it after the install and copying the old files to the new installation it shows it as unregistered. Do you have a link to the method I should be using to move it with my current registration? I must have done it before since it's registered to me on a Win10 PC and I'm sure I've done a few fresh installs of Win7 and Win10 on that machine since 2013. If I can't figure out how to move it as currently registered, I'll use your lifejacket tool.

So no 'Skill' needs to be added to the Alexa settings to control Philips Hue. In that case, I'm not sure what's wrong. I've set up a command in Alex10 "Front Light". I tell Alexa to "Turn on Front Light" and she responds "You don't have any smart home devices. To get started, go to the smart home section of the Alexa App". Perhaps the issue is related to the message I get when I launch Alex10 (see my other post).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »

Usually the issue with Alexa not seeing x10 devices(or any Ha-Bridge device ) is your firewall rules for Java.
You need the latest java installed and you need to remove all old java rules in your firewall setting as windows gets confused with so many rules for one app.
New rules will be created when Alex10 starts the bridge a pop up will appear asking for permission click yes for personal if you wish to connect to the internet then make sure that is checked as well before clicking ok.

If you use the Lifejacket tool be sure to rightclick and then click run as administrator or it will fail.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

geobrick

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 09:12:36 PM »

I've got the AHP and SDK installation worked out. Everything seems good but Alexa is still not finding any smart home devices. The firewall is disabled on the machine running Alex10 so I don't think that's the issue. Could it be the port I chose for the HA Bridge? I selected port 99.   

By the way, I get an error when I select "Start Bridge". It says "Unable to start jar file c:\Alex10\ha-bridge.jar" could that be because it's already running when Alex10 starts? The ha-bridge.jar file is in the folder where it's suposed to be.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:56:11 AM by geobrick »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 06:59:26 AM »

Did you tell Alexa to discover devices or select discover devices from the app?
Have you opened HA Bridge from your browser to be sure it is running on the port you entered?
http://127.0.0.1:port#
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

geobrick

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »

Did you tell Alexa to discover devices or select discover devices from the app?
Have you opened HA Bridge from your browser to be sure it is running on the port you entered?
http://127.0.0.1:port#

Yes, I've tried to discover devices using the Alexa App on an iPhone connected to wifi. I've also tried it from their website.

I can access the HA-Bridge pages from the localhost and from other PCs on the network by typing the IP:99 and it works fine. That raises another question. How does Alexa know which port to search for devices?

At this point it seems to be an HA-Bridge issue so I'll search their forums. Alex10 seems to be doing everything it's supposed to be doing. When I view HA-Bridge using the IP:port#, I can see everything I've set up in Alex10 is there.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »

What Echo device are you using?
the bridge has had issues connecting to some second gen devices but dots seem to be OK.
A new version is in beta testing so you may wish to download it and try it with Alex10.
It may just fix the issue.
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

geobrick

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 10:13:09 PM »

What Echo device are you using?
the bridge has had issues connecting to some second gen devices but dots seem to be OK.
A new version is in beta testing so you may wish to download it and try it with Alex10.
It may just fix the issue.

I'm trying to set it up with an amazon wand. I didn't know it was hardware dependent. I thought Alexa was looking for the HA-Bridge itself (emulating a Hue hub).  I know Alex10 is working because I can manually turn on the devices using the on off switch you have on the upper right side of the UI. My problem seems to be an HA-Bridge issue and seems to be one several people are encountering with various devices.

When Alexa tells me "discovery failed" or it can't find any home automation devices, it suggests adding a "skill" using the Alexa app. I tried adding a Hue Skill and it says 'Account Linking is required' to enable the skill. When I click enable, it takes me to the Philips website where I needed to set up an account and log in. At that point it says "Push the big button on the middle of your bridge. The one you've always wanted to push. Go on." Well as we know, I don't have a Hue Bridge. I thought the purpose of the HA-Bridge was emulate a Hue Bridge. In any case, there's obviously no "Big Button" on the middle of the HA-Bridge so after the 59 second count down on the Philips Hue site, it fails ('Oops. Failed to link bridge. Did you push the button before the timer ran out?').

I assume it's trying to remotely link to a Hue Bridge (or emulator) on my network so I tried opening port 50000 on my router (it's the default "UPNP Response Port" listed in the HA-Bridge settings) and tat didn't help either.

At this point I'm going to shelve this project for a while and see what happens in a few weeks or months. As you suggested in a separate post, perhaps X10 is working on a Skill for the new WiFi module. I'm currently using one on my system and can control it with my phone and ipad. I'll just have to live without the voice recognition for now.

Thanks for your help. The Alex10 part works well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:43:40 PM by geobrick »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 07:25:24 AM »

You can use SmartCloud for your X10 devices and Alexa.
I originally created it for Google Home but it does work for Alexa.
It takes a bit to setup but works with the SmartThings skill. (no hub required)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

geobrick

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »

You can use SmartCloud for your X10 devices and Alexa.
I originally created it for Google Home but it does work for Alexa.
It takes a bit to setup but works with the SmartThings skill. (no hub required)

Thanks. I'll look into that and see if it works any better for my setup.

starman

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »

Hi Tuicemen. I have a question related to Alex10/HA Bridge. Is there a way to access the HA Bridge to activate the functions that correspond to their x10 devices? This would give us the status of the x10 device state in the Alexa app, or at least a on/off/dim command had been sent out.
Thanks

Windows 10 Home
Alex10/HA Bridge
Ihouse 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »

You can Access the HA-Bridge directly. There is a web Bridge UI at http://127.0.0.1:( port you specified in Alex10) the default pot is 80.
However this doesn't display current status of any device configured in it.
Alex10 pulls current device status the bridge thinks each device is at and displays that info in the large black text boxe. In Alex10 UI if you check "More info" it will display all info the bridge has for each device which includes what it thinks the current status is of each device.
with out the "More info" checked, the status info is reduced to make it more readable
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!
Pages: [1] 2