Tuicemens

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: XPT In Wall KeyPads - Swapping Keypads  (Read 725 times)

roger1818

• Helpful Rating: 0
XPT In Wall KeyPads - Swapping Keypads
« on: August 29, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with the XPT In Wall KeyPads?  If so, how difficult is it to swap keypads?

I am thinking of buying the XPT4-W-NS "Wall Transmitter w 4 Button Keypad, 4 on/off" along with a  XP4A-W-NS "4 Button Keypad, 3 on/off, 1 all on/all off" with the idea that I would use the 3 unit keypad (with all on/off) most of the year, but at Chrsimas swap it for the 4 button keypad (using the same base unit), so that I can turn the tree on and off. 

Would this be practical?  Would I run into reliability issues by doing this?

Also, what are people's general impressions of the XPT?  I have used the Smarthome Keypad Link in the past, and while it was nice to use, programming it was a bit of a pain and occasionally it would loose its programming (forcing me to reprogram the entire switch).  Eventually (after several years of use) the whole switch died.  I am hoping the XPT will be more reliable.  It will certainly be easier to setup, though not as flexible.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: XPT In Wall KeyPads - Swapping Keypads
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »

I have no experience with the APT  however the manual details install of the keypads and that doesn't appear to be difficult.
However I don't think it would be practical to swap out a key pad just to turn on/off the Christmas tree.
I also run my tree lights via X10 but use the same address for a lamp which is in its location the rest of the year.

Since these place the X10 commands directly to the Power line I see them as being more reliable then a palm pad or other RF remote.
the manual also states: " the XPT automatically monitors the power line for noise and other signal transmissions and will not transmit until the line is clear." so it is a polite transmitter.

;>
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:11:10 PM by Tuicemen »
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

brobin

• Forum Supporter!
  • Helpful Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »

I've been using those since the late 90's and they're all still working.  They were originally branded as Leviton and then X10 Pro.  The keypads swap easily but I doubt you'll be diligent in swapping them just for Xmas lights.  I have the Xmas tree schedule in my controller and it runs year round but the module for the tree is only plugged in when the tree is there. When we put up the tree and plug in the module we're done.   The controller is set to only light the tree if the date is after 11/20, after dusk and the alarm is not armed.

roger1818

• Helpful Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Tuicemen and brobin.

I prefer having the tree on a separate unit code from the other lights in the room (I don't remove any lights from the room, though one gets moved).  I do put the outdoor Christmas lights on a timer, but don't want to have the tree turn on automatically for safety reasons (LED lights run cool, but it still would make me nervous).  I would reprogram a button on my Keypad Link for the tree and that was more cumbersome than swapping out the keypad seems.

I could keep the 4 unit keypad in all year long, but I like the idea of having the all on/off switch (though I guess I could also use a smart macro to do the same thing).  For the price, I will probably buy the second keypad (they are  having a 20% off sale right now if you buy more than $100 worth of stuff, not as good as the old days, but not bad).

I agree that they should be more reliable than RF remotes.  I tend not to use those much anymore (I tend to use an IR receiver in the living room from my chair as my universal remote doesn't do RF and I have plug-in controllers on my bedside tables).

I am glad to hear they have been working for brobin for over 20 years.  I kind of figured they would.  I have found X10 brand equipment pretty reliable; better than my limited experience with Smarthome brand equipment.
Pages: [1]

succession-resounding