Tuicemens

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amazon echo and X10  (Read 5093 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Rating: 26
  • Making Home Automation Fun!
    • Tuicemen.com
Amazon echo and X10
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »

I've been informed a echo dot is on its way to me! Since it uses the Alexa Voice Service controlling X10 should be a simple setup following the instructions here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Control-X10-Devices-With-Amazon-Echo-or-Goo/?ALLSTEPS
I'll see if I can create a simple executable so it will work with the cm15,19 or 11.
It may even work with PC Companion, if not I'll see about a future add so it does.
 (Chr)
Get the inside scoop and member perks in the
Members Only Section!

Please don't email me Automation questions 
The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
Re: Amazon echo and X10
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »

I've been playing with the HA Hub (software), the server mentioned in the link.
It doesn't seem to be compatible with IE however I can get it working in the Avast Safezone browser or at least appear.
I still don't have my Dot but I'm assured it is on its way.
I had thought about creating my own server but this has support for several things like the Philips hue already built in. `:)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 05:29:23 PM »

Still waiting on the Dot but I think I have the HA Bridge figured out.
I have a x10 device code sender created which works from the HA Bridge
This auto creates on/off and dim scripts so there is no messing with that for the end user.
If anyone is interesting in giving this a test run with  Amazon Echo or Google Home let me know.
The HA Bridge currently only has on/off and dim functions so x10 commands are limited right now.
However if you have AHP or another third party x10 software running the x10 commands will be seen by those so macros could be triggered.
Also the X10 controller has no name yet so I'm open to suggestions for that Just wish to keep it short.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

wsvOiP0

• Helpful Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »

Hello!  I'm getting most of the way through the set up I want for Alexa (in no small part in thanks for your help keeping ActiveHomePro alive! `:)).

By the way, first, I chose the Amazon Tap, but I haven't found any differences following instructions for the Echo.  I'd assume the dot will be the same.

I'm not a linux guy and things seem to change pretty fast.  I've tried following a couple step-by-step deals and ran into trouble (CZB).  But, I followed http://blog.thescorpius.com/index.php/2016/03/25/x10-amazon-echo-ifttt/ to the end and it worked like a champ with one caveat :0~.  This was the solution to the only place I got stumped:

Since Apache 2.4, each virtual host file should have the .conf extension.
You can rename each virtual host file to include the .conf extension:
mv /etc/apache2/sites-available/example.com /etc/apache2/sites-available/example.com.conf

At that point, I'm able to talk to Alexa, for example "Alexa, trigger turn off my pictures."  I actually don't say Alexa because I'm using a tap which serves that function. (By the way, I'm using a Raspberry Pi with a CM19a for Alexa to talk to X10).  If you use/stay at this point, I'd recommend a bit of reading on "hardening" your Apache server.

I'm off :)!  At the beginning of the post above, there's a link to http://blog.thescorpius.com/index.php/2016/11/19/control-x10-amazon-echo-smart-home-skill/  to control it "natively." ???  I'm about half way through those steps so far.  Not clear in the instructions, but when you sign up for AWS, it can take up to 24 hours for it to get set up (I'm waiting now). 

Getting to the point I'm at on the second link, I only got stuck once so far.  When you expand content in the x10.ini file to add the additional information for discover.php, the stuff you add apparently can be just anything (CZB).  After quite some time narrowing it down, the script wasn't working because I described a light as "light on the front porch."  I think on, and I assume off, was tripping it up.  Back to forward progress. ~:0~

Good luck whatever you come up with :)!.  If there's interest, I could add some notes on expanding with Insteon (beware not all work with Alexa and not all are backward compatible to x10.)  So far, ActiveHomePro seems to play nicely with Alexa. (Chr)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »

Nice to read your happy with the tap.
The Dot is currently on sale for $39 US so it is even a better deal now if you in the US (I'm Not)
From what I've read there is no real difference in sound quality unless listening to music. but the there is the option to par with a Blue tooth speaker.
I'm not a big fan of Linux and I never Jumped on the Pi band wagon. This does run on a Windows machine even though HA Bridge was designed for Linux.
I plan to run it here on a low power mini PC running Windows 10.
I realize setting up servers and such can be a real pain however I'm attempting to make this as seamless as possible.
The having the word "On" in the device name is something I hadn't thought of But it makes sense!
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 05:42:25 PM »

My Dot Arrived today! `:) ~:0~
This thing is frigging awesome!
It is very fast at retrieving info (weather etc.)
Setting up  my x10 devices to come on/off can't  get much simpler but I'll attempt to make it easier. Maybe write directly to the server so you only need to setup the device in my program. ??? ::)
Authinx has stated they get daily emails and calls asking if the amazon echo, tap or dot works with X10.
I told them it does and I'd have something ready before Christmas.
 ;>
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 02:37:58 PM »

I'm finished with my Alfa testing of "Alex10" so I'm going to install on a small Win 10 mini pc.
It ran fine on Win 7 (my development PC)
The mini PC is essentially bare other then AHP so this should expose any issues.
Since HA_Bridge requires Java 8 I expect that to stop things as I don't remember installing that. ??? ::) :`)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 04:53:41 PM »

I believe Alex10 is ready for beta testing.
see: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=29701.msg167378#msg167378 for more info.
if you wish to try this out and you have either the Amazon Dot, Echo, or Tap  PM me and I'll provide a link.
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »

The biggest issue users seem to be having is using HA-Bridge to communicate with Alexa using scripts.
Remembering the files name and spelling it correctly being the most common issues.
Getting the Bridge actually working and displaying in a browser is close behind.
With the latest version of Alex10 it hopefully have solved the remembering and spelling issue for script setup.
No longer do you need to type that info into the bridge Alex10 auto adds it. ~:0~
Although still in beta testing members can get the link in the members only section.
If you can't yet access this section you can email me for the links (I can always use a few extra testers) ;>
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »

I believe I now have the bridge problem solved that most users seem to be running into.
HA-Bridge uses port 80 by default and unless there is a configuration file already created and saved you can't change that.
I discovered it was possible to create this file and thus changing the default Port # prior to starting the HA-Bridge.
There are many things which use Port 80 and some can't be changed so prior you had to disable those (if you knew what they were) ??? ::) :`)
 (Chr)
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »

I submitted a release build of Alex10 to Authinx and they have asked that a dedicated web page be created for this. ??? ::) :`) :0~
Sounds like a public release may be coming shortly.  ~:0~
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

petediscrete

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:48:18 AM »

Managed to get Alex10 up and running with the Echo running Windows 7 and the CM15 Pro. A few teething problems at the start but a complete uninstall of Alex10 followed by a reinstall sorted out the problem.

All x10 appliance modules and light modules are working fine.

Great work Tuicemen. The x10 saviour :0~

petediscrete

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »

Now that I have Alex10 running I'd like to run it on a SoC type computer like the Raspberry Pi3 which runs Windows IoT. How big of a challenge do you think this would be.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen.com
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 05:13:32 PM »

This has me very interested.
Alex10 is created with visual studio 2015 so the program should install ok the issue may be the AHP SDK which it utilizes for x10 sending and receiving.
The HA-Bridge won't be a issue as it is a universal OS app.

All I can say is try it! ??? ::) :`)
But do let us know how well it goes. ;>
Members Only Section!

The forum is for that!

petediscrete

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 08:24:24 PM »

Word on the street is don't waste your time with windows IoT. I have to confess I've been using Linux based solutions recently with great success. I know you say you're not a Linux guy but maybe you could port a solution for Alex10 to Linux using a very comprehensively updated Mono 4.

Once again, I've tried other Alexa/x10 alternatives and Alex10 is so easy to set up and by far much more reliable.

Keep the faith Tuicemen (GJ)
Pages: [1] 2

succession-resounding